Monday, October 12, 2009

In The Beginning

"You're a product slut!", this is what my then co-worker exclaimed as I handed her my newest hand cream. Stunned at the initial statement, I couldn't deny the truth: I am a product slut! I am. Absolutely obsessed! From the aisles of Duane Reade to the counters of Bergdorf Goodman I want it all! I have sampled an insane amount of beauty booty! At times, suffering from allergic reactions as a result of all the experimentation. Each tube, bottle, jar feels like a new opportunity.

So, how did this all begin...

My astrological chart reveals that my moon is in scorpio. Apparently, this placement can make you intense and prone to addiction. A quality I share with many serial killers, stalkers and the psychologically disturbed. As you can see I got really lucky.

I can recall the moment that set me on my never ending search for the ultimate beauty find. It was a warm summer day in the early 90's. I must have been 12 years old. At the time, too many hours were spent watching soap operas and music videos. All that shine and gloss!!! I too wanted to be one of these lacquered beauties. I couldn't wait to be all grown up and have red nails with matching lips (of course), dewy skin and long thick black lashes. I eventually stopped envying these glowing creatures and decided to take matters into my own hands. Armed with a whole dollar I walked across the street to The Dollar Store. I was determined to find something to make me feel beautiful. And there it was staring at me, Sally Hansen nail polish in sandalwood: a dark brown with a hint of taupe. This color was too sophisticated for a 12 year old, I wasn't very concerned though. My glamour puss mother disapproved of my choice only to later start wearing it herself. Confirming that I had an eye. I spent the rest of that summer sporting a different nail polish color every single day!

But this was only the beginning.

Ms.Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment